Sustainability is a key factor in Grupo Azvi’s business policy. We strongly believe that respect for the environment and the improvement of the quality of life within our community is the way forward for Azvi to continue to be competitive and to maintain a level of growth that is compatible with sustainable development.
Respect for the environment is an essential component in the development of all the Grupo Azvi’s activities; we believe in promoting and improving the participation and environmental awareness of all personnel in the organization.
In accordance with the commitment to respect the environment, Grupo Azvi promotes the implementation of Environmental Management Systems in accordance with ISO 14001, both in Spain and in its activities in the international field. The systems certified by AENOR are established in all countries where we have a presence.
Grupo Azvi develops all activities according to its environmental policy, based on:
- Complying with environmental legislation and its own requirements.
- Assessing environmental aspects, planning activities and carrying out activities in order to minimise the possible impacts.
- Making use of natural resources in a rational way, preventing pollution and protecting and conserving biodiversity.
- Fighting climate change by adopting actions aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions and by promoting energy efficiency.
- Minimising risks associated with environmental aspects, the legal requirements identified, in the context of the organisation and its stakeholders, and making the most of the opportunities generated.
- Maintaining permanent communication and collaboration with stakeholders. Getting suppliers to commit to complying with environmental requirements.
- Providing training to raise environmental awareness among the staff.
In order to protect the environment, Grupo Azvi’s Environmental Management System is integrated throughout the entire organization.
FIGHT AGAINST CLIMATE CHANGE
For years, Grupo Azvi has been taking measures and carrying out actions to combat climate change. As a result of the steps we have been taking, Azvi’s carbon footprint was calculated for the first time in 2014.
The calculation is carried out in accordance with the requirements established in the UNE-EN-ISO 14064-1:2019“Greenhouse gases. Part 1”.
Continuing with our commitment to act against climate change, we broadened the calculation of our carbon footprint to other business lines aside from construction (which has been calculated since 2014). These lines include concessions (Cointer Concesiones and Azsuma), railway transport (Tracción Rail) and railway maintenance (Manfevías) and expanding the construction business line (Ispalvia).
Every year, the Greenhouse Gas Inventory is verified by AENOR in accordance with the UNE-EN ISO 14064-1 of all Grupo Azvi companies that have calculated their carbon footprint and are registered in the Carbon Footprint Register of the Ministry for Ecological Transition and the Demographic Challenge and in the Andalusian Emissions Compensation System (SACE) of the Andalusian Regional Government.
In order to reach our goals in the fight against climate change included in our environmental policy, we continue to develop the actions defined in the second Plan for the Reduction of Greenhouse Gas Emissions for the period 2018-2022.
PROTECTION OF BIODIVERSITY
At Grupo Azvi, we are aware of the value of biodiversity as a natural asset of vital importance for future generations. For this reason, measures are promoted both to prevent and to minimise the possible impact on the flora and fauna associated with our activities, such as carrying out compensation measures:
- Executing Fauna Rescue Plans: herpetofauna (reptiles and amphibians) and mammals.
- Conducting fish rescue activities, in accordance with local fish protection companies.
- Drawing up and implementing plans to drive away fauna.
- Transplanting and planting trees and shrubs.
- Carrying out sowing, hydroseeding, frost blanket and bio-blanket projects.